Friday, January 22, 2010

Signs, itchy fingers, and answered prayer

i feel like i have words in me itching to get out.  they will just start flowing and escaping from my fingertips if i don't capture them soon.  i have been wanting to write and write and write all day and have resisted.  Now it is 2am and I am giving in for a few more minutes.  my intense anger is gone.  now i want to write and write and write....I grabbed a napkin at panera today and wrote all over it. then spilled soup on it and threw it away.  [good thing it wasn't my computer!]

I am a skeptic when it comes to 'signs.'  Are people creating something out of nothing and calling it a sign? is it from God truly? is it really a sign???? or a mirage?  I tend to ignore possible signs and need to be smacked over the head with a 2x4 - multiple times.  Did I mention I had a stubborn streak??

However,

There is one sign I have been acutely aware of...bluebirds.  As a sign of comfort from God.  I have only seen them a handful of times and only since Luke died.  and only at very specific times.

  • When I went to the cabin to 'run away' 6 weeks after Luke died.  I saw a bluebird multiple times when I was in the swing just existing.  Numb. grieved. painfully alive. Didn't think too much of it then.
  • June 12, 2004 - Luke's burial at the cabin. a difficult day. Another sighting.  
  • Walking through Florrisent NP in Colorado - was able to capture one on film...just before we left CO to move back east.
  • Subsequent visits to the cabin - I have had at least one sighting.
This is about when I really started to make a connection between my sorrow and a bluebird sighting.  Seemed like God was saying, "He's here. He's ok. You'll see him again."
  • This past Christmas at the cabin - a bluebird fluttered down under the steps in front of the picture window.  It took my breath away - literally.  Then flew off.  
  • This week, after raging at God in the outdoor sanctuary, I was sitting in my car trying to decide if I was ok to drive home.  A bluebird appeared at the head of the path.  I followed it a little to make certain I wasn't seeing things.  Nope - it was a bluebird.  
God providing visual comfort in times of sorrow and grief.  Something I had been asking for.  He is here! He does care! I will survive this time of mourning and itchy fingers.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirlee McCoy said...

I don't take much stock in signs either. I do, however, believe that God meets us where we are and comforts us in ways that only we can understand.

The day my grandmother died, my husband found a mourning dove sitting in our backyard. It wasn't injured. It was simply waiting. My husband picked it up and brought it in the house thinking it might be sick. He handed it to me, and as I held its soft warm body, I truly felt God's comfort. We put the dove in a box for a while, and I picked her up several more times over the course of the day. Finally, my husband came home from work, and we brought her outside. I held her for another second and then opened my hands and she flew away.

I'll never forget that day.

Jan 22, 2010, 10:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home