Monday, February 08, 2010

Cynicism, Skepticism and Apathy

First, let me define these three words:

  • apathy - 1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.  2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness. 3. spiritlessness
  • cynicism - 1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others 2. Selfishly or callously calculating 3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness 4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity
  • skepticism - 1. Marked by or given to doubt; questioning 2. A methodology based on an assumption of doubt with the aim of acquiring approximate or relative certainty.  
I asked Pastor what he thought the differences in cynicism and skepticism were.  He said that he thinks cynicism is a lack of hope and skepticism is a lack of faith.  

I often describe myself (mostly to myself) as very cynical, always skeptical and often apathetic.  This would mean that I am lacking in faith, hope and emotion.  That's enough to make me want to go somewhere and hide.  Yes - I am very skeptical.  There is a lot of garbage out there and having seen people fall for it, I try my best NOT to.  I question almost everything (as does the boy child - wonder where it comes from?)  It is hard for me to believe what God says to us in the bible.  But through discipline, study and experience I am growing in my faith - the skepticism isn't going away - it is becoming more focused!  Is it lack of faith or growing faith?

I am praying for the apathy and cynicism. I don't want to be so jaded, so negative, so world weary.  But when you go through trials and you don't have the strength to be any other way, you don't have much of a choice.  The apathy is just part of the journey I am on.  Since I can't be numb, I will act like I don't care.  HA! (<---- cynical laugh!) 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really???? I think I know you and I wouldn't have used any of those words to describe you.

First, replace skeptical with cautious. You've been given a reason to be cautious. While being overly cautious can be paralyzing a reasonable amount of caution causes one to be prudent. And apathetic? I've never known you to be apathetic. I've known you to be very passionate about causes you believe in. You brought me to tears pouring beans onto a tarp that represented starving children. Apathetic people don't do that. As for cynical...I'm not sure about that one. Maybe realistic is a better word.

You are realistic, cautious, and passionate. None of those are bad things.

Feb 8, 2010, 2:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home