Monday, March 22, 2010

Accountability

Accountability:  
The obligation to demonstrate and take responsibility for performance in light of agreed expectations. There is a difference between responsibility and accountability: responsibility is the obligation to act; accountability is the obligation to answer for an action. 

In 'Christian' circles, you will often hear people talk about accountability partners or accountability groups.  I've been thinking about this the past couple of days.  I've never really had an accountability partner - yes, I have some friends who will kick me in the rear if really needed - but not a true accountability relationship.  I have also discovered (admitted?) that I am extremely good at hiding my true feelings and lying at times - mostly to myself.  To the harm of no one but myself.  

How does a person find an accountability partner when you really don't know anyone? How do you know who will be the right kind of person for you personally? Is it a two way street? How often do you meet/talk? 

Being new to the area and not really knowing anyone, I don't even know where to start.  I have reached out for friendships and have met walls.  I'm not going to reach out for this and be shut out yet again.  

So - until then - post your comments and let me know if I am on the right track or way off my rocker!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

After living in Maryland for 4 years, I found someone I could meet with and share the journey. I had prayed about someone for a while, and was looking for someone to "mentor" me. My pastor's wife (10 years older than me) was very introverted but taught a women's Sunday School class I attended. I loved her depth and her quiet passion for God's word and her humility of "only" being a servant of God...qualities I knew I needed more of!!! I finaaly approached her about getting together and we did. We never defined it as accountability, though our words/thoughts gently prodded each other and non-directly we challenged each other toward spiritual growth. We tried to meet every Saturday for coffee and conversation and did so for a couple of years before we moved. We often read Christian books of mutual interest and discussed them, or came with questions about a passage we had read or studied recently and pondered its implications for our lives. Sometimes we shared family struggles or just ways we personally felt inadequate. We rarely talked during the week, but occasionally called with a prayer request or concern. Sometimes one of us was far more focused, prepared, and "on the right track" than the other, and the other carried the conversation and offered encouragement. In retrospect, although I was looking for a mentor, I realize we "mentored" each other and helped each other become more of who God is calling us to be.
Sadly, it did not happen overnight. I had to be patient and wait for God to reveal the right person to me and the relationship itself took a while to take shape, to the point that I wondered early on if this was the right person. However, I am very thankful and forever blessed by this "intentional" relationship.

Mar 23, 2010, 9:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home