Monday, February 08, 2010

Coincidence?

I receive daily posts from Proverbs 31 Ministries.  A ministry geared toward women.  Today's post started out by telling the story of Peter walking on water, but when he got scared he started sinking. However, Jesus was right there.  The posted focused on fear.  It suggested we need to get out of our comfort zones, face our fears and ended that for God's plans to truly work, we have to be willing to let go of our fears and step out of our comfort zones.

Could God be telling me something?  After the day I had - it was a hard day to say the least - the last thing I need to hear about is leaving my comfort zone and releasing my fears.  I do not have the strength to do that as well.  Coincidence? maybe.  God telling me something? Maybe.  Gonna ignore it for right now? Yep.

The devos end with application steps, reflections and power verses.
  • What am I dreaming of today?  Getting through the day.  Being back to normal.
  • Or maybe for the last decade? I want to be published one day - memoir, children's book. photography. I don't care.  
  • All my life? To be a published writer and national geographic photographer.  don't see either happening.
Scripture search for 'fear' only psoted a few-

Exodus 20:20 NIV - Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."
Leviticus 19:14 NIV - " 'Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord.
Leviticus 25:17 NIV - Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 25:36 NIV - Do not take interest of any kind from him, but fear your God, so that your countryman may continue to live among you.Deuteronomy 5:29 NIV - Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!Deuteronomy 6:13 NIV - Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name
Deuteronomy 10:12 NIV - 
[Fear the LORD] And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
Psalms 19:9 NIV - The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.
Psalms 22:23 NIV - You who
fear the Lord, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
Psalms 22:25 NIV - From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who
fear you will I fulfill my vows.
Psalms 23:4 NIV - Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalms 25:14 NIV - The LORD confides in those who
fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.
Psalms 27:1 NIV - [Of David.] The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I
fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalms 67:7 NIV - God will bless us, and all the ends of the earth will
fear him.

...and many, many more...

I looked up 'afraid' as well.  Almost every single instance says, "Do not be afraid."  
Psalms 56:3 NIV - When I am afraid, I will trust in you.

Over 95 times we are specifically told "Do not be afraid."  

What are my greatest fears? being left alone, being trapped, and falling with no bottom.
How could these fears get in the way of God's plan for my life? by worrying about them.
Of my own dreams? I've given up on my own dreams.

How has my past manifested into fears or control issues? many ways...you can guess some in previous posts, I am certain.
Are there areas I'm not surrendering to God out of fear? oh yes.

Power Verses:
Jeremiah 29: 11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future " (NIV)

John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (NIV)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home